Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Week 6 - Romeo & Juliet

So it’s been some time since I’ve updated with some new information, mainly due to the fact that we were on reading week for the semester. There were no lectures for that week but we still had a polished board game to make. We were assigned to create a board game of any style based on a Shakespeare play. For once I actually really liked the assignment because I actually really enjoy most of the Shakespeare plays. King Lyre and the Tempest were some of my favourite ones, of course I was forced to read them in high school but I did really enjoy them. 

Anyways… the play that we chose to recreate was Romeo and Juliet. This was mainly chosen by my group member Yang and me. I was unable to attend our usual Thursday work sessions so I decided I would try and help out before. I met up with Yang at his house to try and think of the main concept for our game. We decided on the main objective of our game based off one of the play’s major events, Romeo trying to reach Juliet. This was done in a simple board game style where each player would take on the role of Romeo, and try and reach the end of the board… Yes, a race to the end game. It’s not as easy as it seems though because we added guards to our board, which were pretty much non player entities that were controlled by cards. Each player would roll dice to move across the board, and after all the player’s turns are done, a voluntary player would draw a card from a deck. These cards would outline what position the guards would move to or how many spaces they would move. The guards would be determined by different coloured pieces. A card drawn might say “Red Guard move 5 spaces to the left” and any player caught in between that would have to face off with a voluntary player in a game of dice. The higher roll would win. If the player rolled higher than the guard, they would be ok, if they rolled lower; they would have to go to the dungeon spot near the beginning and will be at a huge disadvantage. 

I don’t really have any pictures of the board right now, but I may upload it later..

Christian Perera
100343813

No comments:

Post a Comment