Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 10 - Storytelling


Though I do have a hard time hearing things and paying attention in the class, one thing we talked about in games these days is like the storytelling aspect in video games. For our game Medium Rare we actually do not really have much of a story… This game seems more like one of those kill time on your phone games that people would buy on their iPhone for like two bucks. As an individual I am quite disappointed with this due to the fact because I am actually one of those gamers who are really into the story aspect of games. Though I wouldn’t say it’s the primary selling point for me in a game, it is one part that I really consider when buying a game. 

Working at Best Buy part time in the gaming department leaves me with a lot of time to read up on different games and get opinions from other gamers as well as give my own. Some of my favorite story based games were from the PlayStation 1 and 2 era. These would include the Final Fantasy series from the very first installment to the twelfth. The majority of these Squaresoft RPGs in fact did a very good job with storytelling in my opinion. I think the storytelling originally is what gave me the interest in video games in the first place. Even back in the day when I would play SNES games like Donkey Kong Country, I would be fully interested in the stories. Even something like Mortal Kombat which was purely a brutal fighting game, they had a lot of different character backgrounds and developments.

My point right now is that I think most of the games that have been developed for this current technological age are lacking in the storytelling aspect. A lot of games like Call of Duty and almost any Fighting game such as the recent Soul Calibur V and Streetfighter X Tekken, have extremely poor stories and mainly focus on the gameplay mechanics and online systems. Soul Calibur V was actually one of the more disappointing ones for me because they had introduced many new characters and removed many fan favorites, and they had not even provided arcade mode endings for each character explaining their introduction and outro to the game like the previous games had. 

A game like Streetfighter X Tekken is selling very well and to many is recognized as the best fighting game of the era, when in reality it is lacking many things, the story being one of them. The story does not actually make much sense and is of course very poorly planned out. For a crossover series there is actually no relevance to the two game worlds colliding at all. Upon watching the initial trailers for the game, many expected huge rivalries between popular characters like Kazuya Mishima and Ryu. 
On another note, you have a game like Mortal Kombat 9 released last year, which has provided amazing graphics, a well thought out story that almost felt like a movie and welcomed players of the previous titles as well as new fans. It also gave a good intro and outro to each character even being in a biography section. Below I’ve attached the trailer for Streetfighter X Tekken so you can see what I’m talking about in terms of what people like me expected.


That's it for today... more after tomorrows lecture. Sorry about the delay on these.

No comments:

Post a Comment