Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 4 - Paper Prototypes


So we had to make two more games this past week, I feel like our design ideas just keep getting better and better. Didn’t get much photographic material this week but basically what we created was a game with a world war two theme that did not involve territorial gain. The game was called Race to Berlin. This game’s concept was mainly proposed by Yang and Chris….hold up. When I say Chris, I mean Shing… apparently my other group member’s name is also Chris. Anyways, the basic gameplay of the game was that you would roll a die to move spaces across the board. You would play on two separate teams. Each player would start with 20 resources, and as they moved across the board they would use them up. If they would run out of resources, they would skip a turn and roll a die giving more. Here’s what the game board looks like:
 
Now there are a few different spaces on the board that mean a few different things. There are trap cards and assist cards that can add a bit more action into the game. Basically the person to reach Berlin would win. I’m not too sure if we were even allowed to use that Nazi symbol, my entire group claimed we could though I was against it. Whatever.

Our second game was a simple collection game that pretty much just used different colour cards with symbols. I don’t have any pictures of the board or pieces right now but I’ll probably edit this post later with that. The player moved across the board by rolling a die once again, and they would be able to move all over the board with no set goal in mind. The objective of the game was to collect three cards of one symbol regardless of the color. The cards could only be collected by landing on specific spots. Edward and I created the cards that had the different symbols. There was, a triangle, square, circle, x (PlayStation fan boys clearly :P), and the four colors were red blue yellow and green. There was also a black card which served as a wildcard with a star on it. To obtain a wildcard, the player would have to have 3 cards of one color and trade them in after landing on the center space of the board.
Class began slowly as usual and I continued to work on a little project of my own for another class. We talked about battleship, and had to think of one design aspect to change… As usual I didn’t participate in class… maybe next time?

Christian Perera
100343813

No comments:

Post a Comment